Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why do nearly all meatloaf recipes call for bread crumbs?

Is it supposed to act as filler or does it have another purpose? I'm curious because I have a tried and true meatloaf recipe that doesn't call for any bread crumbs or crackers and it tastes just like a traditional meatloaf (some people have said it's better) and makes the same amount of food.Why do nearly all meatloaf recipes call for bread crumbs?
Because meatloaf was made as a way to stretch the amount of meat you have, sort of like getting a boob job makes the amount of boobs you have seem bigger. The recipe was made during lean times, such as war, and used bread crumbs and the like to make more of your meat dollar and/or rations.





Read up on your history people. It isn't to keep it moister or to bind it together. Adding eggs are necessary when adding the bread or grain filler but not when you don't, only because then does it need binding. Making meatloaf without fillers is absolutely possible but it isn't traditional for the reason I wrote of.Why do nearly all meatloaf recipes call for bread crumbs?
I think it helps keep the meat together, like the egg does. I use crackers,or rip up reg. bread. tastes just as good. Meatloaf is good cause you can throw lots of stuff in there.
Well, if you dont put bread crumbs in it... it is more like a giant hamburger. I think it makes it lighter and fluffier but to be honest, I think it is just a personal taist sort of thing. Go with what you like best! Happy New Years!
Breadcrumbs or crumbs in general expand the meatloaf, without adding fat. They absorb and retain juices in meatloaf, meatballs, and many other foods. Cheaper than ground sirloin!
Don't know but , i like to use oats in place of bread and besides that you dont have to use any fillers long as you put a raw egg in there to make it hold together.. Cooked at Auburn U
please share the recipe...I always use bread crumbs......
I have made meat loaf with no crumbs of any kind, too, and they have been perfectly okay as far as I can see. If the recipe calls for crumbs I use quick cooking oats if I have them and if I don't I make it anyway.
I don't use bread crumbs - I put in cottage cheese - and its great. I have given this receipe to alot of people and they now swear by it. I think the bread crumbs act as a filler - I have never actually tasted them and I have found that using them actually dries out the meat.
two reasons one is it is used as a filler and also it helps hold the meat together.
Some people use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. It is definitely filling to stretch the meat.
Mix your meat with sage %26amp; onion stuffing mix, it tastes really good.
The egg and breadcrumbs (or crackers) are used to hold the meatloaf together. I use an onion seasoning packet that I get from my local grocery store and you don't use the egg or breadcrumbs with that seasoning. It gives it a very good flavor also. Another good recipe for meatloaf is to use an onion soup mix. Very nice flavor!!!!
You don't need the bread crumbs I don't use them but I also put bacon on the top with some ketchup
It's a filler. I use saltine crackers instead, the flavor is better.
It is a binder used to hold the loaf together. You can use cracker crumbs or oatmeal among other things as well.
it helps keep the meatloaf moist and juicy. the breadcrumbs absorb the juice and hold it in.
I like all the above answers.......
Lilith is right. But you are right, too. My mother used to put lots of bread crumbs in her meatloaf because she couldn't afford enough beef to feed us all. The bread helped her stretch out that one pound of ground beef to fill all our bellies.
  • football highlight
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment